VPA Winter Show 2022
Saturday 12 February 2022
The next Winter Show will be the VPA Winter Show 2022 on Saturday 12 February 2022 at 2:30pm in Little Gaddesden Village Hall.
This page contains all you need to know about the VPA Winter Show 2022:
- How to enter the show
- The Deadlines for entries and for staging
- Browsing and download areas for the Show Entry Form, and the Show Programme as a whole
- An Online Entry Form for submitting your entry (or, we hope, entries!) direct from this page
- The General Rules of the show and the Pet Rules for Division I
- Top Tips for a Successful Show
- What the Cups and Prizes are
How to Enter the VPA Winter Show
There are three ways you can enter the show:
- Fill in a paper copy of the entry form that’s in the show programme (or downloaded and printed from the Show Entry Form Download section below) and deliver it, with your entry fee, to
- Janet Stinton, 5 Ringshall, Little Gaddesden or
- Alastair Green, 1 Pond Lane, Little Gaddesden
- Email a scan or legible photo of a filled in paper copy of the entry form (e.g. downloaded and printed from the Show Entry Form Download section below) to the VPA Show Team at VPA-show@LGVPA.org. Please pay the entry fee on the day of the show.
- Submit your entry online directly from this page, using the Online Entry Form below. Again, please pay the entry fee on the day of the show.
Deadline for Entries:
Wednesday 9 February 2022, Midnight
How long have I got before the deadline for entries?
Saturday 12 February 2022, 10:45am
The Village Hall is open for staging entries:
- Between 9:00am and 10:45am on Saturday 12 February 2022
Please leave the hall by 10:50am on the Saturday, as judging starts at 11:00am.
Entry Form and Full Programme for the VPA Winter Show
Browse the Show Entry Form
Best for viewing online. Hover over or tap for page controls.Winter-Show-entry-form-only-A5-r2
Download the Show Entry Form
One A4 page for easy printing
Submit Your Entry Online Here…
Pay your entry fee on the day
Fill in the form with the requested details and, when you’re ready, press the Submit button. Please fill in and submit the form separately for each named exhibitor. We’ll send you an email with a copy of what you submit, for reference.
You can email the VPA show team at VPA-show@LGVPA.org.
Rules and Top Tips
General Rules of the Show
1. The rules of the RHS and WI generally apply but with a few exceptions to encourage participation and competition.
2. The judges’ decision is final.
3. Entry forms should be submitted online, or in person to Janet Stinton or Alastair Greene (see entry form for details) no later than midnight on 9th February 2022.
4. Two entries in each class are permitted for each entrant.
5. The cost for each exhibit is £0.25 for an adult paid on show day if entry submitted on-line, otherwise when form delivered, all children’s entries are free.
6. Entries must be put in position on the day between 9:00am and 10:45am.
7. Each exhibit must bear a card provided by the committee. Junior exhibitors must mark their age on the back of the card.
8. Entrants shall properly label their exhibit to identify its type, date, ingredients etc.
9. All jars etc shall be clear glass
10. The cost of entry to the show is £1:00 per adult, paid at the door, children are free. Opens at 2.30pm.
11. Exhibits donated for sale in the show auction are much appreciated. Leave your items behind after the prize giving if you wish them to be auctioned.
Rules for Division I – Pets
a) Entry to the judging must be by the back door of the stage, and exhibitors to arrive by 2:30 sharp.
b) One pet only per exhibitor. No fancy dress, ribbons or trimmings.
c) Pets must remain in the stage area and should not be left alone.
d) The stewards will take every reasonable care to ensure that sick or unsuitable animals are not exhibited; exhibitor and pet enter entirely at their own risk.
e) Please note that under no circumstances can any pet be allowed in the main hall. Entry via rear hall door directly on to stage.
Top Tips for a Successful Show
The show is run in line with RHS guidelines and the cookery is in line with WI guidelines.
1. Read the show schedule carefully
Check your entry against the wording of the criteria for the class that you would like to enter.
In this schedule, the words “kinds” and “varieties” are used in the following sense:
- Potatoes are KINDS of vegetables
- Arran Pilot and Majestic are VARIETIES of potatoes.
3. Take your time
If you are exhibiting in the vegetable division, take your time to present your entry in the best possible way – Is your exhibit clean and fresh? Is your plate the correct size? Do you need a cloth to lay your exhibit on? This will enable the judge to see immediately the quality of the exhibit but it also allows the exhibitor to enhance the colour or accentuate the exhibit.
4. Know your recipe
It is often easy to be disqualified if you are not aware of what the judge will be looking for. If in doubt, consult the WI guidelines “On With The Show” a reference copy of which can be found at the VPA store.
5. Attention to detail
If you are exhibiting root crops make sure that they are straight and disease free. Tomatoes should be firm fresh and even in size and free from blemishes.
When entering a cake, check that you have removed any non-stick paper used during cooking and when entering a jam or jelly, ensure that the seal is appropriate.
Each judge will leave you a comment that is designed to help you improve your next exhibit or display it to better advantage. We hope you will find their opinions informative.
Cups and Prizes – Winter Show 2022
VPA Winter Fruit and Vegetable Trophy
Awarded to the exhibitor gaining most points in Division A – Vegetables
Reg Bond Cup
Awarded for the best individual exhibit in Division A – Vegetables
Kathleen Talbot Rose Bowl
Awarded to the exhibitor gaining most points in Divisions D – Preserves and Division E – Cookery
Nan Parker Cup
Awarded to the winner of Class 26 – Double Chocolate Cake
Awarded to the best exhibit in Classes 32-34 – Division F – Floral Art
Wilson Cup for Under 6’s
Awarded to the best exhibit in Division G – Children – 5 years old and younger
Young Exhibitors’ Cup
Awarded to the exhibitor gaining most points in Division G – Children – 6 to 10 year olds inclusive
VPA Junior Cup
Awarded to the best exhibit in Division G – Children – 6 to 10 year olds inclusive
VPA Senior Cup
Awarded to the exhibitor gaining most points in Division G – Children – 11 to 16 year olds inclusive
Awarded to the best exhibit in Division G – Children – 11 to 16 year olds inclusive
Champion Pet Cup
Awarded to the Champion Pet in the Winter Show
Daphne Brooks Cup
Awarded to the best exhibit in Division H – Photography and Craft (excluding exhibition of work)
Basil Thorne Cup
Awarded to the winner of Class 31– Men’s Cake